Friday, April 18, 2014

Love What You Do

The Author.
So, one of the things that troubles me greatly is the mentality that many students (and, in some cases, counselors) have towards extracurriculars: that MORE is BETTER.
Hey, shocker, I really don't think so.

See the following video from a former Stanford admissions officer as she tackles a case study of a student.
Believe it or not, one of the main arguments to discourage people such as you and I from joining multiple extracurricular activities willy-nilly is that someone else can tell very easily whether or not you care about the organizations or not; PASSION cannot be faked.

If you are a part of something in which you do not care much for, my advice is this: DON'T DO IT.
Sure, you can eventually grow to love it after awhile, but I'd say if a semester goes by and you don't feel a connection, then move on to something that truly interests you or focus more on what you love to do.

I remember my first day as a TA. I didn't want to be there-my parents pushed me to do it; however, by the end of the first month, I was actively engaged and felt that that was something I enjoyed doing in my spare time, no matter if I was tired, hungry, or had to study for the test the next day. This story might not be the same as yours, but eventually, you'll find something that you love, and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Love what you do, and do what you love. Trust me, you'll thank me later when your commitment and time spent will pay off.
~SQ

No comments:

Post a Comment